November 13, 2020

Positively Worrying

Hello once again. I’m very glad you stopped by. In fitting form of BSSM, this week has been a whirlwind of encounters and teaching. As the weeks roll by, I am surprised to find myself already in November. So many days have passed and I have been immersed in the moment like never before. Some days, its all I can do to keep up with the constant download of new information and revelation.

On Monday, the school had the privilege to sit under the teaching of Steve and Wendy Backlund. To be candid, I had never heard of them before. But their wealth of knowledge impacted me greatly. They shared on many things in their hour slot that afternoon, but one of them left a lingering impression on my heart. 

The concept of positive worrying. Anybody who knows me, knows that I am prone to worrying. It is something that I have to take to the Lord on a regular basis, and is hard for me to let go of.  I find myself falling back into old patterns of worrying almost as soon as I climb out of them. Often in life though, it isn’t enough to just take out the negative, it has to be replaced with truth. 

“Worry is just imagining a future without God”

-Wendy Backlund  

When Wendy spoke that, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I was down for the count. How many times will I go around the same circles asking God for an answer that He has already given me? When God is in something, it never fails or comes back void, no matter what we are seeing with our human eyes. 

Steve began to share that studies have been done that prove that 85% of what we worry about, never comes to pass. The other 15% of obstacles is usually handled and surpassed with relative ease.  (And no, I will not cite any sources. Go do your own research.) Yet, I get stuck in that 85% way to often. 

This powerhouse couple let us on a little secret. We can replace worrying with positive worrying. A very fun concept. Instead of taking all that mental energy imagining the worst, we imagine the best possible outcome. 

“Positive worrying is imaging your future as if God shows up.”

-Wendy Backlund 

Now for all you cynics out there, they did put emphasis on not denying reality, but simply tapping in to a greater reality. That God is good and wants to come through for us. 

I was elated. Sitting and listening to them was giving me so much hope. Here is a practical way that I can stop worrying and start inviting God into every situation of my life. I don’t even have to stop worrying actually, I can make the change to positive worrying! I don’t know about you, but that is a win win in my book. 

What does positive worrying look like? Well, here are some examples of how I have been positively worrying this week:

-Two of my housemates have been asking God for cars, so I have been very worried that we won’t have enough parking spaces for all the cars God is going to give us 

-I believe God has called me into a season of supernatural provision. I am very concerned that He will give me so much money that I won’t know what to do with it all! He will have to teach me to be a good steward as He expands the corners of my tent. 

-God has been pouring out so much joy on the school as a whole. I am concerned that we will be so caught up in the joy of the Lord, and laughing to the point that our face muscles will be tired and sore. 

Now this doesn’t necessarily mean that all these things will come true exactly how I’m worrying about them. But it is certainly a lot more fun to raise my expectations for what God can and will do. Even if 85% of it doesn’t come to pass that 15% will be all the more sweet. 

I challenge you to practice some positive worrying this week. Why not have some fun dreaming with God?

Make the conscious decision to not go down the path of negative worry. Break the cycle my friends. You might just find yourself going down a new road.

From me to you,

-Emily Jacobsen 

Comments

1 thought on “Positively Worrying

  1. Emily
    Love the statement “ Positive worrying is imaging your future as if God shows up!” Of course He does. But it’s not putting God in a box as how He does.

    Glad you’re learning and loving the Lord!!! Enjoy yourself!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving wherever you are!!!

    Blessings!!

    KathyR

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *